UFC star Conor McGregor has been arrested in South Florida for smashing the cellphone of someone who was trying to take his photo, according to authorities.
According to a Miami Beach police report, McGregor was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief, both felonies.
The report indicated McGregor was leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach shortly after 5 a.m. Monday when a 22-year-old man attempted to take a picture of McGregor. Police said McGregor slapped the phone out of the man's hand and then stomped on it several times. Investigators said McGregor then grabbed the phone and left the area. Police later found McGregor at his local address.
McGregor was released on $12,500 bail late Monday night. According to the State Attorney office, his arraignment will be on April 10.
McGregor's defense attorney, Sam Rabin, issued the following statement Monday:
"Last evening, Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation."
McGregor previously entered a plea deal in Brooklyn, New York, last summer stemming from an incident at Barclays Center on April 5, when he was caught on video throwing a metal dolly into the window of a bus stationed inside the loading dock. The plea required McGregor to keep a clean record for one year, as well as serve five days of community service and attend an anger management program.
A source told ESPN that the Brooklyn case is closed, which means the new charges won't affect that plea deal.
McGregor posted a message on Instagram early Tuesday morning.
McGregor last fought in October at UFC 229 in Las Vegas, where he lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov in a bout that was marred by a postfight brawl.
Both fighters were suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for their part in the brawl.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.